Breath Of Life

The life and times of Mr Mark Allen....

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Nome De Plume and Gollywog Bonding


Bloggettes,

Nome De Plume arrived on Monday. We went to Wolverhampton bus station with a teddy bear dressed in an Australian flag to meet her!

Unfortunately her coach was late so I ended up waving it at a busload of bemused pensioners - which pulled up at the time her coach was meant to be there. Doh!

We went to the PG for a little tipple before bed and then walked back – something I would not have even considered doing before my transplant.

It felt really good not to worry about the time or oxygen and just saying ‘ok….let’s walk’.

I don’t think Nomes could get her head round how everyone was congratulating me and saying how well I looked. When she had never seen me sick.

The last time we saw each other we played a game of handball in Sydney after all!

On Wednesday we hit Stafford. Among our purchases was a Womble (don’t ask!)

We managed to set off the alarms in the old courtroom in the Shire Hall and go chav spotting (lost count!) Oh Stafford has its old worldy charm!

We met Mike and Rach in the evening and went to Tamworth to see Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire. There were only about 12 people watching it. Good for infection control!

I am still not allowed into crowded places….but I am gradually ‘integrating’!

I seemed to do rather a lot of texting through the day. The devil makes work for idle thumbs! Hmmm

Mum had made us a Christmas Dinner. So we had the roast with all the trimmings and crackers, funny hats and bad jokes.

It was just like December 25th but without family arguments or a hangover! Perfect! I wish I could cook like that. Why aren’t culinary skills hereditary?!

Spent the evening just chatting to Nomes. She is easy to talk to and it’s a while since I have spent time just chatting and listening to someone on a one-to-one basis.

People are marvellous things aren’t they!

On Thursday a photographer from the Mercury came and did a shoot for a forthcoming feature. We went on Castle Ring.

Nomes, mum and I went to Lichfield and popped in to see Jenny at H & B (Yes she is still as lovely as ever)

The craft market was disappointing but Lichfield is a great place to take a stranger to these parts. We had lunch in the Tudor Café - Service bad as ever but food good!

We will ‘do’ the rest of Lichfield I’m sure when N returns in January.

We briefly went to ‘Heart of the Country’ centre at Swinfun. I love the Rolf Harris paintings there – shame on me – Sorry we didn’t have time to go to the lovely café, but I did see the sparkly singing waitress and waved.

In the evening we had a meal at the PG with Victoria, Colin, Erik and Diana. I will try to put a link to the pictures from this page. The picture of us at the table was courtesy of Kate – the emo-chick waitress. Hello Kate!

After a great meal we all chatted in the conservatory and walked home. Cannock Wood is still and dark at night. But with tomorrow the biggest full moon in 20 years forecast there was enough light to make out ghostly shapes of long-dead iron age soldiers (or was that just a dream?!)

I didn’t sleep at all on Thursday night and by 5am Friday I was up and drinking coffee. The longer one stays awake, the harder it is to go to sleep.

To be REALLY honest. I felt terrible on Friday. I was sneezing. Shaking and my mind was full of things I had to do in the coming week.

We took Nomes to the bus station at some unearthly hour. I was sad to see her go. I really did have a good time. She is great company. But she is coming back in January - if she survives a Xmas Guinness-fest in Ireland – a country so ‘good’ everyone wants to leave and live in Australia or America.

Why do the Irish all claim to love Ireland so much, but none seem to live there? Lol

I can’t understand this as I went hostelling around Northern Ireland and Eire and loved it. It’s a great place, full of real characters….(Gosh I am talking in stereotypes again eh?)

Autralia seems to go barmy on St Patrick’s Day – Does Australia have a saints day? I reckon Shane Warne is a candidate. ‘Shaney’s Day’ or ‘Warne Week’ has a ring to it!

Friday night I started a letter to Burntwood Bev (who we saw in Gilesport) and gave up fo rthe night. Still feel rotten. But hope a good night’s sleep with solve it. I hope so. There is a party next door tomorrow!

It’s a ‘posh party’. I may wear my DJ…BUT If there are too many people there I will give it a miss…..It’s a small price to pay!

Other highlights of the last few days include a short film by NR and MA called ‘Boxing Kangaroos’ – don’t expect Spielberg to be in touch!


Muslc: Gang Away, System Of A Down, Matt's Disco Disc, Moby,


CLICK HERE (click) TO SEE PICS OF AUSSIE CHICK'S VISIT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home