Breath Of Life

The life and times of Mr Mark Allen....

Saturday, April 22, 2006

Esporta, Cassie and Grumpy Old Man


Blogsraelites,

Yes yes yes Happy Birthday to our Queen…..no NOT Elton John the other one! Gawd bless ‘er ‘an all who sail in her (or something like that)….

Sounds a bit freaky in Nepal at the moment though doesn’t it. Cripes (as Boris ‘would say! Boris Johnson is ace by the way….it is official!)

Hi there….Well the drama enfolded yesterday. Now they want me to go in the week after next for my CT scan (they say they don’t trust Heartlands in Brum to do it correctly)

But on the positive side. I can go up on the Tuesday morning and have it done at lunchtime.

I am going to chill out in Newcastle in the day, meet up with Sarah in the evening and have my other tests and get all the results the next day.

I don’t think the doctors realise how tiring and stressful it is to go up one day for an appointment the following day and then results the next one…..coming home shattered.

One also gets worked up before an appointment and then analyses everything that has been said. And the whole thing depends on two minutes in a blowing machine. Sad.

Anyway. I met up with Victoria Friday afternoon and went to Esporta in Stafford. Its a gym not unlike Cannons. I had saved up free tokens from The Times…

Would you believe it I knew the receptionist. It was the lovely Cassie, who did work experience when I worked on the Staffordshire Newsletter.

She is now dark, not blonde so I didn’t recognise her at first. But it was lovely to see her again.

I have a week of free visits. So I am going to alternate which gym I use. Although this wekend is out and Monday I have my reassessment in Cannoc with gym-o-Jodie.

It is novel for me to work out with someone else. But talking while on the bikes make 20 minutes pass a lot quicker.

V and I then chilled (or warmed up) in the spa pool. It was very civilised.

When we got back to her house, Colin already had the dinner on. He is well trained.

We all spent an evening watching the cats, saw a programme on the 70s on TV and a Johhny Cash concert and generally gossipped. ({including a discussion on Midge Ure and Ultravox)

We laughed about a bitchy text I had from a friend who we think may be upset because I had not said how wonderful Connexions was in my blog. It is amazing the power of the written word..

Then we considered this person was probably just being ironic and actually (like most people) enjoyed seeing a big organisation criticised. It is called DEMOCRACY. Who knows how the female mind works....

It is good when people like seeing their name in the blog. I never ‘slag off’ (oooo what an uber-chave expression) my friends – only people who deserve it!

I suppose that is why I became a journalist. The power one can have to change council decisions, stick up for people without a voice and say what needs to be said.

I must admitlatest medical hitch has made me so frustrated. I am turning into a 'Grumpy Old Man'...

I SO want to do 100 per cent normal things and not be ruled by the drag of hospital tests and getting caught up with the self-expanding industry that is ‘hospital’ culture.

Seriously though. Most of my friends are really supportive and I really appreciate it. Its only when you have been ill you realise who your real friends are.

You also find out a lot about ‘fair weather’ friends who didn’t want to know me when I was attached to an oxygen machine 24/7…but want to know me again now!

Well I am off on Jimbo’s stag do now…..Gokarting, dog racing and clubbing in and around Brum…..(Broad Street) Then finishing off with a St George’s Day meal tomorrow.

I bet you look good on the dance floor....as somebody once said. Ciao!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home