Breath Of Life

The life and times of Mr Mark Allen....

Thursday, March 17, 2005

Mark v Erasure

I had a night out tonight and I just want to explain what goes into it, compared with what most people have to do, which of course I have to do as well.

Well I went to the Erasure gig at Wolverhampton Civic and my preparations had to start early. I went to the supermarket, so I would have had some exercise, enough to bring up any rubbish from my lungs but not enough to exhaust me too much.

I had a bath and a steam bowl, inhaling Olbas oil before my evening nebulisers. I then had a light meal and filled up two oxygen containers with liquid oxygen and got out two conventional containers I had got a prescription for earlier today.

When my friend came I attached myself to a cylinder with the liquid oxygen containers in the front of the car, if they are not vertical they leak.

I was sick outside a lot but it seemed to do the trick. I felt better for it.
When we got to the gig I then attached myself to one of the liquid oxygen was dropped outside outside, with a friend holding the spare container.

Half way through the gig I swapped the containers. But I was constantly checking the levels. It was all such a to do. This is what I have to do before going out for an evening.

I bet the band didn’t do as much preparation as I did before the gig. But I can’t just sit in and medicate myself all evening.

You will be pleased to know I put a lot of glitter and gel on, most of which seems to have malted onto my pillow overnight!

Review:

Erasure has been belting out the electro-pop soundtrack to our lives for 20 years now.

Nobody would have been expecting the duo to sell out venues in 2005 with the kind of anthems they struck chart gold with in the 1980s, but they have.

The band have with new album Nightbird, already spawning one top five hit, brought back fans who deserted them in the late 90s and found favour with electro clashers.

So from the bizarre opener Three Blind Mice (yes the nursery rhyme) sung in complete darkness through to the closing chords of Sometimes, we saw a band very much on top of their game.

The stage took the shape of a forest, appropriately as they aired five songs from their new CD, definitely a grower.

Fortunately they chose to ignore their blander covers off Other People’s Songs and ABBA-esque and dug deep into their back catalogue for myriad of gems.

Highlights included the heart-wrenching tale of parental rejection that is Hideaway, quasi-political The Circus as well as all-out disco stomps of Love To Hate You and Stop.

Andy showed no signs of the hip problems that have plagued him and looked healthy and muscular, while dapper Vince stood as statue-like as fits the keyboard half of the duo.

This tour has seen two glamorous backing singers added who have almost as many costumes as Mr Bell. But Erasure, being Erasure, we had a few surprises.

The inclusion of a straight, or straight as Andy can be, version of Ave Maria and Vince rapping during a cover of Blondie’s Rapture were, ahem, different.

What other band could you see where the singer comes on dressed as an angel, with the backing vocalists as butterflies, in a magical forest? You don’t get this with Oasis!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home