Breath Of Life

The life and times of Mr Mark Allen....

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A tale of two singers (and lots of nuns!)

Hiya Bloggeteers,

*** Latest: My article on Blogging is in the Express & Star tonight...(Friday)

Ooooh more media whoring from yours truly.

Radio WM rang up and needed someone to speak about a proposed change in the law which will mean everyone who dies will be a potential organ donor - unless they opt out in their lifetime. (The 'opt out' system)

At the moment its an 'opt in' system - so its assumed people DON'T want to donate unless they go on the register....

And I know there are even friends of mine who are not on the organ transplant register...Selfish bastards. Click on this link CLICK

The problem is apathy. People are apathetic. People agree with the principle but don't do anything about it...This is why we still have a Government in power who many don't trust or like....

Anyway...It came across well and there were some sensible caller (unusual for BBC local radio I know!)

THere is a country estate in our village up for sale at £2.5 million. I saw a car with RW4 on the front of it nearby today.... ROBBIE WILLIAMS IN CANNOCK WOOD?

On Monday afternoon I met a local farmer who has built a footpath on his land so people can get from Nunswell Park to see the actual 'Nun's Well'.

There is already a link to the site of the old convent (or monastery - depending on the story) which was eventually turned into a hunting lodge by Henry II.

There are all kind of legends surrounding the land including the story of a nobleman's daughter who didn't wish to marry the local youth lines up for her.

She ran away and lived on Cannock Chase but her father found her and killed her (!). He later became a Christian and kept some of her hair as a kind of holy relic.

This was tended and looked-after by the nuns.... And so it goes on.

On Tuesday I went to Lichfield and bumped into several people I know and a couple of people I didn't spoke to me, because they'd read my feature in the Express & Star.

I saw J at H&B and a girl who works in Cornerstone Cafe among others. Busy bees. Oh yes also saw Abi who used to wrk at the PG...

Mum's college friend K came on Wednesday and we went to the Heart Of The Country Village, Swinfen Hall.....Great for Xmas pressies, but bring your credit cards!

(K is the mother of Emma who ran in the Great North Run for CF. I have known the family since I was born....And before!)

The waitress in the cafe at Swinfen, with the blondest hair you ever did see, worked as a singer and dancer on a cruise ship. Everyone has a story you see.

She now lives in Chasetown - about two miles away from our little village!

Perhaps she could link up with RW!

I received a limited edition 7" vinyl single from the band Ladytron...I don't know if I won it or am on their mailing list.....Interesting anyway...

Talking of music I have new reviews of albums by Richard Thompson and KT Tunstall at CLICK...

*It is Jo+66 long-term Bloggites and day 549 for me on the transplant list....

Click here to e-mail me

Click here to see my photos

Book: Gridlock by Ben Elton
Music: Monastery Of Sound

1 Comments:

  • At 9:05 am, Blogger Kiera said…

    Hey Mark!

    How are you? It`s me, JB! I have a new name.

    Hope you`re well. I`ll send you some pics soon.

    Chat soon. j x

     

Post a Comment

<< Home