Breath Of Life

The life and times of Mr Mark Allen....

Thursday, April 14, 2005

Countdown to IV-hell

It's less than a month before I will be prisoner of my next set of IV antibiotics, which mean, with my 4X a day nebs, physiotherapy, IVs, tablets, injections and potions I don’t really get much time to do anything except medicate myself.

Monday I had an ENT appointment in Heartlands, Birmingham. I never sleep before a hospital appointment. My SATS, blood sugars and even the condition of my skin and hair go haywire in the run up to one.

Mum had to pack the car full of oxygen containers, overnight bags and a couple of days worth of nebulisers and other medication in case we got the call and had to go to Newcastle straight from Birmingham….It has happened before…to me!

My consultant sprayed asaesthetic stuff up my nostrils and then put a probe up my nose and down past my tonsils to have a look at my trachea…Its not very pleasant but not too bad as although awake one is numb.

I did cough a little blood out later. But I was not too worried. My body doesn’t react kindly to being prodded with long tubes from the inside! I was also very tense.

I hate hospital days. I am just paranoid of them finding something awful, or catching something awful from the gauntlet of immigrants you run going through outpatients.

I may sound xenophobic or paranoid. But its not without good reason. I have been on a bed next to someone with T.B….and this is Birmingham not Calcutta!

If I caught something like that it would be lethal for me. I haven’t got the defences against it. There should be more stringent testing on arrival in the UK and that definitely should include a basic English language test for would-be doctors.

Anyway….that over with we went to ASDA in Minworth…It’s nice and large and I bought some vest tops for the summer. They come up quite close to the neck. I like.

I have spent three evenings this week at computer class. I needed to do my Presentation Graphics exam for CLAIT PLUS but there was no assessment time available for Monday evenings so I went and practiced and did the exam Tuesday and Wednesday.

I have finished the modules I need now, but am going to do Website Design for fun (!) anyway. I may need it if I fail one of the other components!

I went to the Express and Star and ordered some copies of the photo of Dad’s plaque that went in the paper last week…I bumped into one of the reporters there and had a good chat.

I saw a really fat man putting up Labour Party banners in Burntwood. I guess Tony's cronies aren’t so sleek now are they. Perhaps he overdid Jamie's dinners!

Talking of politics...I see Michael Fabricant has been publicising the organ donor register...I would vote for him, but he's not in my constituency. Seeing how Birmingham do their postal ballot papers that doesn't seem to matter!

Can you believe that when I did my news round up last Blog I forgot about the General Election….Britain splits into two until May 5, the fanatical and the apathetic.

Can I say hi to Miss Chartaud who reads this Blog regularly. (Gosh I sound like a commercial redio DJ!) I love the forwards she sends me, especially trying to translate them without cheating (using the Google disctionary.)

I put a little piece on the Natalie Imbruglia album on Ciao if you want to take a look...Sorry Nat. I know I went travelling with your sister but I don't really like your new album!

Good luck with the DJ-ing Matt....I hope the crowd enjoy Guru Josh and The Inspiral Carpets!

My achievement of the week.....entering a team in the Daily Telegraph fantasy cricket league...

More news on the radio/TV stuff asap. Watch this space!

Music: QOTSA, Cake, The Futureheads

2 Comments:

  • At 9:07 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    JB - I haven't seen the CF wristbands but I believe they are on sale at the CF Trust website.....x

    Meoverthere - As soon as I have had my transplant and am ready to travel I think a dose of French air is just what the doctor ordered! Mwah x

     
  • At 12:43 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    JB....I have been to the same link and downloaded the form...will post it today!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home