Breath Of Life

The life and times of Mr Mark Allen....

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

New Pavilion dedicated to my Dad

Sunday was a bit of a momentous day….the new cricket pavilion was opened and I unveiled a lovely plaque in Dad’s memory and cut a ribbon…very D-list celeb eh?

I expect he’s up there chatting to the pope, smoking his cigar and saying “I bet you haven’t had a cricket pavilion dedicated to you!” before launching into a joke involving a choirboy, a priest and a nun (erm….probably!)

Mum and I went down to the field (she had baked a cricket cake) and the ceremony took place before the game, we were both given honourary membership of CWCC, then I went to the pub with the usual suspects.

They are planning a St George’s Day event at the Park Gate Inn, again with Dad in mind, as he organised last year’s celebration, dressed as St George in his Knights Templar kit.

I spent the evening doing the village news column and preparing something on the pavilion for the local press, none of who were invited to the event (doh!)

Its now Tuesday and it has been a bit of a media circus again today (more crusty old carnies than Cirque De Soleil, despite my French friend visiting!)

I put a story together about the pavilion opening yesterday and e-mailed it out to all the local media. Today the Express and Star wanted a pic at 11am.

We got hold of a key last night and screwdriver to open the door. The Express & Star did an arty pic looking at me through a reflection of the plaque….Should be in tomorrow!

Since I used to be an Express and Star journo, we chatted about who was there now, who was on stress leave and who would be ‘moved’ to the Dudley outpost.

They are expanding the Stafford office, with new reporters, snappers and subs. It should be interesting to see whether they can find any more news.

I still hark back to the golden days of Tony R. Tony M, Sarah K, Victoria, Amber, George, Dave and I…with little Sue Lee on the Chronicle. Only Tony R remains.

Nathalie, my French friend, arrived, but we could only chat for a few minutes (on the field!) as I had a hair appointment at 11.45am. Then she had to go!

Then the phone calls started coming in reply to the press release and I tried to send some additional pics that Mr P sent me last night, (credit to him for burning the midnight oil, burning his candle at both ends (!) etc etc..) but Hotmail was not playing the game!

I have just snatched a few minutes, between fine tweaking some adverts to try and sell our motorcaravan, before computer class tonight.

Good news. The internal marker found no mistakes in my last three-hour marathon of an exam (or can we call it a Snickers of an exam?)

Oh and I accidentally left my Mp3 player recording while I was at the hairdressers, so if any gossip finds its way onto Radio WM…..guilty as charged!

I must admit its been hard fitting in all my medication today so may have to make sure I do everything by the book this evening.

That Moby CD has started to grow on me, like a fungus(?) Strangely alluring!

1 Comments:

  • At 8:57 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    Thanks Kim....stay huggable my friend!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home