Breath Of Life

The life and times of Mr Mark Allen....

Thursday, May 05, 2005

TV cameras and IV cannulas

Susie and John (TV peeps) came at 7am....to film me getting up and dressed before the date with destiny at the hospital (ok...So it was only an outpatients appointment but drama works!)

They filmed the car being loaded with overnight stuff (in case we got the call) and oxygen cylinders (in case my liquid oxygen ran out) and put out the lists for neighbours.



We go through this rigmarole everytime we go more than 30 minutes away from the house as there would not be time to come back here first.

I was at outpatients for the last false alarm! It does happen!

I had a few problems walking to the ward as we only found a parking space on the other side of the hospital and it was cold. I suppose they have to film the rough with the smooth.

To be honest I am glad they see me at my worst as well as my best. Hopefully it will show people what it can be like...

I did all the usual tests (my lung capacity was up very slightly again, the fourth or fifth month in a row) and my weight was steady (I have to try and stay at a similar weight to when I had my transplant assessment last year.)

I saw the dietician, physio and nurses too. All did their normal prodding and poking, questioning and answering..

The duo filmed all the talks with my consultant, now matter how personal. I want anything shown to be a reflection of what normally happens, so it is pointless having taboos.

So if you want to know the state of my body watch the programmes (Of course I may end up on the cutting room floor when producers see and hear me.)

I think the more they film the wider choice they will have of footage to use so bring it on!

The cannula was put into my arm so I could pump my own antibiotics through three times a day. (One smells like cat wee!)

I had to leave with a trolley load of bottles, syringes, sharps bins (Sharpy?) alcohol (for washing the hands apparently, but I may find other uses).

There were enough needles about to keep Pete Doherty happy for days!

In short the car was a junkies' paradise....So if anyone broke in the street value of the medicine would be higher than the value of the car....(Perhaps!)

We found out more about the series 'Life On The List'.

It will be a series of five programmes at 7pm on BBC in the 3rd week in August. (Get those diaries out)

Some people they have been filming have already had transplants, others like myself are still waiting....They are covering all main types of transplants and at several centres.

In the afternoon we went to Asda in Minworth for food and retail therapy before going home.

I did some composing on the laptop (keeps me sane!) and they filmed me doing some basic bass guitar work (I hadn't the courage to try anything ambitious so just gave them 12-bar blues!)

The evening was fun. I met some friends and we went to the Park Gate and had some ale (well I had cider). We chatted on and off camera and everyone said nice things about me (isn't that normally reserved for one's funeral!) It was a good evening...I haven't laughed so much in ages.

You are lovely people and you know who you are...(even the ugly one!)

I told the landlord you can't BUY adverts like this on the Beeb!

Of course the down side was I had to come in and try and get sober enough to do my nebulisers and then my IV antibiotics. Luckily I remembered what nursey had told me and was able to keep a steady enough hand not to do too much damage! :)

Off to drink a stupid amount of water and tea. Does tea count as my daily water intake because tea is mostly water? Hmmmmmm time to ponder.

*Thanks for the Kenny Everett call this morning Susie. It solved a mystery! And everyone seemed how nice you and John were/are...(despite my efforts to disuade them!)



Music: Air - Virgin Suicides Soundtrack, + some of my own stuff

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home