Breath Of Life

The life and times of Mr Mark Allen....

Sunday, February 26, 2006

£5.10, Uncle Roger, Rum, Sodomy and the Lash!

Hiya Bloggettes,

Ok, ok I made up the last three bits of the title. But it got your attention didn't it?!

Saturday we went to Stafford as I had to pick up my bank card, which I had left at the phone shop (doh!) and then with Dyne visitors in tow took a 'train' to Brum.

Something so strange happened. Some Asian woman asked me for £5.10?????

What did she need £5.10 for.... Before you come here and try and live here at least work out the value of our currency woman! DOH!

The church in the centre of the city is St Martins and is the parish church of Brum (not the cathedral, which is somewhere else) and has a lovely restaurant, complete with pianist and warm radiators. (It was a bitter day!)

I emmersed myself in market culture. I had forgotten how bizarre the markets by the old rag market in Birmingham are. Its a different world, a world time and inflation forgot. Cup of coffee for 35p guv'nor?!

If I hadn't been the only one who spoke English there (or was it a type of Brummie that was just too much?) We could have been in 1976 (including the fashion!)

AND every other storeholder looked like an older version of Ian Brown (former Stone Roses singer.)

But its nice that it has kept its character and some of the characters are still there. The rest of the centre has reaped the benefit/suffered 'urban renewal'.

The Bill Ring is a dazzling post-modern Starbuckfest (with a great Music Zone!)

I bought bits and pieces. Of course I'm not telling you what because a couple of the bits are presents (and the pieces are for me!)

In the evening myself, The Dynes and Mum met Kay and Roger in a pub called The Horseshoe in Tetenhill (near Burton)

Roger was talking about all our old trips to Cornwall.

Every Easter a group of families - it started off just as Ripley Round Table and expended! - used to head to cottages in Devon or Cornwell.

Places like Boscastle and Tintagel were favourites.

There were about a dozen 'kids' about the same age and we all brought friends and there was always a Champagne breakfast, Patricks Adventure, and lots of card games.

(Oh and Slippery Sam, which I exported to Korea and the kids loved it!!!)

It continued even as we went through Uni and several of us still keep in touch. In fact one is even married to another one's ex. (We weren't all THAT close!)

Anyway. Us kids are all grown-up (ish) and some even have their own kids and there is talk of a reunion of the hardcore of people who went most years.

Some have died (there have been tragedies) and others will not want to go but Roger said plans were afoot for another trip perhaps. I have so many memories. I would love to stir them up again.

I look back at photos (was that 1989 or 1987?!!) - and think WHERE/WHO/WHY ARE THEY NOW?

Anyway the meal was great. I would really recommend it. The wine flowed freely and thank the God of SatNavs we got home!

Its now Sunday morning (just about) - My morning cycle was interupted by my handlebars turning at right-angels to my wheel so I came back and did some more insurance quote hunting. I certainly won't have time tomorrow.

Off to mee the usual suspects before hitting Amerton. I have been told to try their pies! Can I point at the animal I want to eat I wonder?

Another bit of tarting on my part. When I am at the BBC on Monday with the Inside Out crew (BBC1 7.30pm don't forget!) I will be on Radio Stoke talking about the programme, sometime between 10am and 10.40am.

Radio Stoke's link is...... CLICK ME

To watch Inside Out (after Monday) CLICK ME



Music: Johnny Cash : American III (the one with covers of U2 and Nick Cave on there!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home