Breath Of Life

The life and times of Mr Mark Allen....

Saturday, May 14, 2005

Venflon Cannula Spectacular

Bloggenettes,

Friday was a nightmare...I woke up to find the venflon cannula out of my arm and next to me on my pillow...Not the ideal bedfellow!

I had to call Cannock Chase Hospital and return there...This time the nurse couldn't get the cannula tube to stay in a vein, despite several tries.

So I went, battered and bled, to Staffordshire General, where the A & E waiting time was 3 hours (I didn't have that much oxygen left!)

They saw me in minutes and a nurse passed me over to a very tall Asian doctor..I couldn't understand a word he said, but he eventually got a pink cannula in.

. (Yep I have one of these in my hand!)

Unfortunately it is on my hand which restricts me. I can't cut food, mix up or administrate my IVs/nebulisers or do anything unaided...Damn that dignity eh?

I have a gong so I can call for help if I need it, which I do as the tops on the chemicals/drugs containers are too tough to take off one-handed and the syringes too awkward to inject one-handed.

A tube that fills with blood also loops over my fingers, unattractive and asking to catch in something!

At least with the one IV being in a drip I can do some nebulisers while it's going in.

AND least it is on my right hand and I am left handed...There definitely won't be any bass or piano plonking in the near future.

But on the downside, I am getting addicted to mashed potato with cheese!

It is precariously placed (the venflon, not the mash!) and I am praying it lasts at least into next week as to find a doc to stab me over the weekend would be a nightmare.

I cheered myself up by buying a big tub of ginger biscuits....For dunking in tea from Penkridge Market, where I bumped into Mr and Mrs S.

I also got a shower cap today in the post from a friend in Australia, decorated with cats, dressed as doctors and nurses...Have I got weird friends because I turn them that way, or do I attracts them? lol

Music: Chemical Brothers

3 Comments:

  • At 8:15 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    Oh Yes Miss JB...it is. AND it is so versatile....You can put anything into cheesy mash, herbs, spices, sauces, butter, milk, water, mash, , sunblock, mice (ok...I may have made a couple of these up!)

     
  • At 10:05 pm, Blogger Unknown said…

    wow, your life is so interesting!

    you commented on my friends' (lazz and rebs') blog... thought i'd come check yours out.

    i actually look forward to reading your posts! keep writing.

    xx
    isa


    PS journalism is something i'm VERY interested in!

     
  • At 7:39 pm, Blogger Mark said…

    Nomes, It's Mark here...at computer class (yawn) - I haven't written any e-mails because my IV is in my hand and I am writing one-handed which takes hours....just doing my Blog is painful....but when I am free of IVs next week I will write U a lovely long e-mail...remember how much I love you hon.....Thiiiiiiiiiiis much! xxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home